South Florida family doctor dies of drug overdose

A South Florida doctor who worked at a Florida health system that runs Medicare and Medicaid said she took the prescription opioid medication Ambien to treat chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).

Dr. Amy B. Miller died on Monday at her home in the city of West Palm Beach after taking Ambien, a prescription medication that helps treat CFS, Florida Department of Health spokeswoman Susan Hausler said.

Miller, a physician at North Miami Medical Center, was in a routine appointment on Monday when she took Ambien for the second time in less than 24 hours, according to the Florida Department Of Health.

Miller was an OB/GYN and an OB-GYN resident at the hospital.

Her death was ruled a drug overdose, the department said.